Thursday 11 April 2019

''Warp speed, Mr Sulu''...

...''and take us out''.  My thoughts this morning as I finally got allocated a proper chair.  It's ridiculously big, has the largest, fully-adjustable arm-rests I've ever seen, and makes me feel like I'm in charge of the bridge on the USS Enterprise.  My desk is huge, too - but the big-cheese corporate-ness of it is slightly lessened by the pink balloons left pinned to the wall by the last incumbent.

Yes, things have moved on apace since yesterday.  I have Post-its.  I have pens.  I have a file with inserts and pockets and I have my own stapler and staple remover.  I have two screens to flip stuff about on, like Tom Cruise in ''Minority Report''.   I have my own fan.  I have resolution.

The meeting was productive.  There will be further discussions about hours, and the lessening thereof, with a final decision made next week.   My suggestions for how we could resolve the service issues on a reduced hours basis were met with a decent amount of positivity.   There have been discussions about expectations and the non-fulfillment thereof (on their part).  There have been apologies.  There have been assurances about contracts and job content.  There have been promises of no more fuckwittery, and copious thanks for my honesty and co-operation.  I think I am happy - and I'm pretty sure they are too. 

It's all good. As was the charity fashion show I went to this evening, where £850 was raised to purchase Makaton equipment for a local special school. There was prosecco.  I'd have preferred gin, but you don't often get that at events for ''ladies''.  I made do. Twice.

Oakwood Hall is quiet, and I'm settling down for the night now.  Lord and Lady Oakwood, I'm assuming, made landfall safely and will now be firmly ensconced in the Flatlands.  I'm looking forward to being able to make as much noise as I like at 6am tomorrow, instead of creeping around trying not to wake them up - and tomorrow is Friday.  Mr A will be here for the weekend, the Sunday allotment meeting has been cancelled, so we are set fair and free until Monday.

Blessed be.

No comments:

Post a Comment